Raw wool scouring removes contaminants from greasy wool in preparation for further processing. This course explores the processes, aims and objectives of raw wool scouring and describes the machinery used to scour wool. It also investigates the principles of detergency and entanglement.
This course discusses the nature of the contaminants on wool and the principles and practices of contaminant recovery.The issues affecting product quality and the impact of scouring quality on downstream processing are also studied.
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- provide a detailed and comprehensive overview of the wool scouring process
- provide a comprehensive overview of the best-practice techniques relating to the wool scouring process that ensure maximum wool cleanliness and minimal felting
- provide measures and techniques to resolve issues that might be encountered during the wool scouring process.
- Introduction to scouring
- Characteristics of raw wool contaminants
- Preparation for scouring
- Detergency and entanglement
- The scouring process:mechanical considerations
- The scouring process:process variables
- The principles of contaminant recovery
- The practices of contaminant recovery
- Wastewater treatment
- Process and quality control
Học phần: 10
This introductory module defines scouring and provides an overview of the scouring process. It explains the importance of scouring in wool processing and identifies the compromises and factors that influence the scouring process.
This module outlines the steps taken to prepare wool for scouring including a review of the scouring process. These steps include preparing wool blends, bale warming, blend layouts, opening raw wool and best-practice issues during the scouring preparation operation.
This module explores the purpose and types of surfactants used in wool processing. It explains basic detergency and how contaminants are removed from raw wool during scouring. It also explains the concept and causes of entanglement, the impact of this on further processing of wool and the methods used to reduce entanglement during scouring.
This module covers the mechanical elements of the scouring process including the scouring line configuration, the wool transport system, the liquor handling system and scouring bowl design.
This module covers the environmental issues associated with scouring and the pollution propensity of contaminants. It also explores sludge treatment and disposal, choosing a wastewater treatment, market pressures and best practice issues associated with wastewater management.
This module covers the importance of process control and explores the process controls relating to the scouring line. It also explores the principles of quality control including analysis programs and methods.