Take the journey from farm to fashion and be inspired by the versatility of nature’s finest natural fibre — Merino wool.
Explore the following pages to discover the natural properties and inherent features that allow wool to deliver a wealth of benefits to consumers, while nurturing the animals and the environment from which it comes.
Be amazed by the latest innovations in design that are seeing wool incorporated into an ever increasing range of luxury garments, activewear and fashion apparel.
By the end this course, you should be able to:
- Explain the role and purpose of The Woolmark Company and Australian Wool Innovation in the global wool supply chain.
- Describe the origins and key structural characteristics of the wool fibre.
- Outline the unique consumer benefits of wool as a textile fibre.
- Describe, at a high level, the woollen and worsted manufacturing routes.
- Outline the meaning of the various symbols that dictate how wool is best cared for
- Recognise the meaning of a range of Woolmark Licensing Logos
- Explain why and how wool is used by designers across a wide range of fashion applications.
- Describe a range of wool innovations that's stem from wool's inherent natural properties.
- The Woolmark Company
- What is wool?
- Benefits of wool
- Manufacturing wool
- Caring for wool
- The Woolmark licensing logos
- Wool in fashion
- Wool innovations
The Woolmark Company is a subsidiary of Australian Wool Innovation and is the global authority on Merino wool. With a network that spans the entire global wool supply chain, The Woolmark Company builds awareness and promotes the unique traits of nature’s finest fibre.
Wool is a natural, biodegradable and renewable fibre produced by sheep. Wool boasts an impressive range of natural qualities.
Fashion designers love wool for its quality and versatility. Nothing else feels, looks or wears like wool.
The unique characteristics of the wool fibre deliver a range of benefits to consumers. Wool’s benefits and inherent qualities make it a superior fibre choice for luxury fashion and performance apparel, and a wide range of other everyday products.
Wool is used in a vast array of products. While processing routes can vary depending on the final product, the journey always starts on the farm.
Wool’s durable properties make it an easy-to-care for garment choice and advances in wool processing mean care is easier than ever before.
Keeping wool clothing looking fresher for longer isn’t difficult as long as you follow the care instructions.
The Woolmark logo is one of the world’s most recognisable textile symbols. Products carrying one of the Woolmark certification logos meet quality performance standards.
These products have been independently tested at an authorised laboratory for fibre content and product quality. Quality testing includes colourfastness, laundry stability, fabric strength and durability.
Wool is a sophisticated and versatile fabric used by designers who shape wool innovations and fashion the world over.
The Woolmark Company and its partners are continually pushing the boundaries to develop new, innovative wool products to meet consumers’ needs.
The versatility of wool lies at the core of a range of cutting-edge product innovations. Product developers continue to explore the potential of this adaptable natural fibre.